Sunday, May 17, 2009

Warm mittens and fire wood.

I just enjoyed my first "weekend" in Alaska for '09. My days off should officially be Friday and Saturday, which I'm crossing my fingers for. I've been VERY lucky because both of my days off were beautiful sunny days- just a little on the chilly side. Friday I was able to enjoy a walk down to the "Canyon" area. I'm horrible when it comes to distance guessing, but I think it's about a mile and half to two miles to walk down to the Canyons - not too bad. A lot of the shops are just going through the process to open doors, but I'm sure within the weeks things will be in full swing. So Friday night Allison and I were hanging out in our room playing games and we ended up getting quite a crowd in our room. (At one point there was 17 peoples crammed inside.) But it was a really fun night! Saturday I was able to get my laundry done and walked to the Riley Creek Campgrounds with some friends to attend a bon fire. It was a lot of fun to see more friendly faces that are arriving every week! It was a beautiful night and when it came time to walk back to campus at 11:30 it was still light enough that we didn't need a flashlight or anything. I love all the daylight!
Now I'm off to my first day of "real" work after two days off and do not want to go back yet. :-)

2 comments:

Alex said...

Sounds awesome (and beautiful). I'm looking forward to some pictures!

Jenn said...

Sounds like you're having a good time! I'm glad! Enjoy the scenery and daytime hours!