Sunday, May 24, 2009

An Eventful Week!

(Hanging out with friends on my b-day)

Well my job at the Mercantile is off to an interesting start. My Manager has already been fired and they're looking for a replacement without much luck. So with that happening the work schedule has changed and now my days off are Thursday, Friday and they have me closing the store three days in a row which sucks because the shift is 3:00 - 11:30. By the time I get off work I am completely exhausted but it is nice to sleep in so late. But I just don't want the closing shift so I'm going to try and switch and work mornings instead. (6:45 - 3:30) Hopefully I will get it approved!
Other than work I've had a really fun week! Wednesday night was a Chili Cook-Off at Creekside (about 10 miles away) and I was able to hitch a ride with some friends. It was such a fun experience! They had a band playing, bon fire, and like 16 different types of chili's that you could try - all for free! There was one chili in particular that was really good. It was a green curry chili that had some kick to it and was delicious! I would love to have the recipe to that one...
(pic of the band playing at the cook-off)

I will say I really do miss good food! The Aramark food is just awful, it truly is. Everything seems to be soaked in fake butter and is just so unhealthy. I've been depending upon the salad bar mainly but I would like to enjoy a good meal here and there.
If I had kept up with the raw food diet, I wouldn't be able to eat anything! Well, at least I wouldn't have any sort of variety. The salad bar is always the same: lettuce, spinach, onions, beets, cucumbers, tomatoes, sprouts and occasionally cottage cheese. And the fruit is usually just apples and sometimes oranges, and bananas when you get really lucky! But all the fruit/vegetables have been frozen before - I'm pretty sure because they don't have any flavor to them! Oh well...
Friday was my 24th birthday, and it was a pretty great day! I had the day off and was able to sleep in and just be lazy. I went to a yoga class with some friends and it was so relaxing. I really want to try and get into the schedule of doing yoga every day again. My body needs it!
The weather here has been so beautiful. I hope that it keeps up and we don't have a repeat of last year when it rained for 30 days straight!
Anyway, life is good. I'm grateful to be here and experiencing a different side of life. The people here are amazing. I'm so blessed to have made such fantastic friends! But I do miss my family, especially my nephews!!! Seeing pictures of them makes me a little sad. :-)
Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes! You all helped make it such a fun day!
Love you all.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Sorry about the gross food! That's crummy!

Alex said...

Sounds like good times. Chili and yoga? Just make sure to not mix the two...
I want to see more photos! You've got that sweet camera and those lenses...!
Glad to see that you're having a blast.