Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Mirah Show

Last night I had the opportunity of seeing some great bands live.
The opening band was an instrumental band, they were talented but it was somewhat boring because it was such slow music. I don't recall their name, but they were from Virginia.
The second "band" was a girl named Melanie who has a solo project called "Tender Forever", she's originally from France but has been living in Portland. For a solo artist, she put on a great show. She used her laptop for the music tracks and sang and played keyboards on top of it. She even played drums with a Wii remote + nunchuck (using a program on her Mac) and it was really fun to watch. I was very entertained between her music, dancing, and jokes. (She had a song that she dedicated to her crush Beyonce, accompanied by pictures of Beyonce that she had photoshopped herself into. Very funny.)

Lastly it was sweet little Mirah. She has such a beautiful voice and kind personality. With it being a sold out show at the tiny venue Kilby Court, standing space was limited and if you're not in the front you can't see anything. Mirah kept asking if everyone was doing okay, and apologized to the people who couldn't see. She suggested, "If you can't see, maybe it'd be best if you just close your eyes and listen. That way you're not worrying about trying to see the whole time." Thankfully I didn't have to worry about it because I was in the front. At the end when she announced that it was the last song for the night, the crowd cheered and she asked everyone to close their eyes and keep clapping and when they opened their eyes she'd be back on stage for the encore. So everyone closed their eyes and cheered and voila, when they opened their eyes the band was still on stage ready to play one last song. For the encore, she began telling a story about her girlfriend going away to attend a Drill Team competition and how she wasn't able to go with her, but her girlfriend sent her a video text of a team dancing. She said, "I wondered why she sent me a video of these girls, but then I heard the music.. I knew that music.. I knew that music because I wrote it! They were dancing to my song." Then she began playing "The Garden" ending a great show.

1 comment:

Jason said...

It looks like I really missed out on something great. At least I heard the last half hour from outside.