Saturday, April 18, 2009

..Meet me in Montauk..


I just finished watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for the millionth time and I think that it gets a little better every time I watch it. Which is impressive since I loved it the first go round.
If you haven't seen it, then you need to go to your nearest movie rental store and get it. Go on. I'll wait..............
Okay, so now we've all seen it. Isn't it a beautiful original love story? Having two strangers fall in love, go through all the goods and bads, in a fit of impulse and revenge they erase each other from their memories, then rediscover their love in the same place they first met. It's such a great concept that we'll find true love one way or another because we're drawn to it. I guess I'm just a hopeless romantic...
I adore Joel and Clementine, Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet were PERFECT.
Joel is so awkward and shy in the beginning but you see a whole new side of him as he struggles to let go of his cherished memories of Clementine. I love when they devise the plan to hide deep in his childhood memories and he's the 4 year old boy hiding under the table, crying for his mother then stops and says, "I really want her to pick me up. It's amazing how strong that desire is." Then in an attempt to get him to calm him down, Clementine lifts up her skirt and shows him her underwear and says, "My crotch is still here, just as you remembered it." Joel looks at her disgusted and responds, "Yuck."
Clementine is the complete opposite of Joel, honest and upfront to the point that it's overboard. After first meeting Joel she tells him, "Look man, I'm telling you right off the bat, I'm high-maintenance, so... I'm not gonna tip-toe around your marriage, or whatever it is you've got goin' there. If you wanna be with me, you're with me."
Truly, I think that guys appreciate that type of honesty, especially over the stupid game playing that seems to go on in the dating world.
Anyway, some of my other favorite quotes are:
Joel: "random thoughts for Valentine's day, 2004. Today is a holiday invented by greeting card companies to make people feel like crap."
Clementine: "I'm a vindictive little bitch, truth be told!"
Clementine: "You don't tell me things, Joel. I'm an open book. I tell you everything, every damn, embarrassing thing." Joel: "Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating."
Clementine: "Hi, I'm Clementine, can I have a piece of chicken? " Joel: "Then you just took it. It was so intimate. It was like we were already lovers."

1 comment:

Alex said...

Indeed, it is a good movie. I liked your notes on it. I have to agree with what you said about upfront honesty. It makes things easy, to be sure.

Are you going to review other movies?