Thursday, October 14, 2010

Patience is a virtue which I lack.

For those who know me well, you know that patient is a word not used in my vocabulary unless it's preceded by "im". 
Learning a language is proving to be the ultimate test in my patience, or lack thereof... 
I read my textbooks, I watch tv and listen to the news reporter discussing issues in a language I'm yet to understand. At night as I lay in bed, I try to put sentences together and later have nightmares that I'm trying to talk in French and have no idea how to even introduce myself. Later, I wake up and feel relieved when I realize all I need to say is, "Je m'appelle Bree." 
People keep telling me that one day it will click and I keep holding my breath for that day to come. I realize I've only studied it for 4 months and I've only been back in France for a month and a half. Regardless, I long for the day when I can hold my end of a conversation in French! I feel as if my brain is just too literal and I keep trying to translate things word for word when that's literally impossible! 
For example, in French they say, "ça va?" which means "How's it going?" but if you translated it directly it'd be "that goes". It's just the little things like that, that make such a difference.
I really feel that when I'm able to argue in French, I will know the language. Thus, I've made it my goal to get into an argument before I leave France. A French friend of mine has agreed to this argument and has given me the deadline of my birthday = seven months. So it begins. I need to work on speaking it more and trying to improve my vocabulary daily. If anyone has any tips or suggestions to help me along the cobblestone path, I'd be more than happy to hear them!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I'm sorry you're frustrated Bree. That's hard! I'm sure it will come. And you're probably already doing better than you think! We miss you tons! Have a great day!