Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Paris avec mes amies

Sunday was a full day in Paris. We started off at the Port de Clignancourt flea market (the largest antiques market in the world) where I spent too much money. But it was all justifiable - shoes, a second hand dress and gloves... things every girl needs. Afterwards we went to St Michel and enjoyed some hot chocolate at a cafe and soaked up the heat from the space heater. After we had all finished our drinks and eaten our snacks, we braved the cold and headed to l'Arc de Triomphe. We climbed the 284 steps to get to the top and enjoyed the beautiful view of Paris and la tour eiffel.

Once we were sufficiently chilled to the bone we headed back down the steps and walked around the Champs Elysees then hopped on the metro and headed to the cinema. The Social Network was playing in English (french subtitles) and was only 4.20 euros. I enjoyed the film and found it interesting how facebook came about. What's so crazy is that a website that took two weeks for a harvard student to create has completely altered our generation. Everyone and their mom's are on it. (Literally, both my parents are!) It's become such a crucial way of staying connected with so many people. You can meet once and exchange names and the next day you'll be facebook friends. It's pretty ridiculous how much a social network rules people lives. I know many people who are addicted to it, myself included.
Anyway, after the film we walked back to the metro and headed home to L'Etang la Ville. It was the first time I'd actually taken the train home with someone and it was a lot more enjoyable having friends to talk to the whole time. Plus it felt a lot safer to not be travelling alone late at night.
Two weeks ago when I went for a jog in the Forêt de Marly, I determined that I watch entirely too much Dexter. As I was jogging through the forest I kept thinking that I was going to find a dead body or that someone was going to try to abduct me. Then this last Friday my paranoia became justified. Some people out picking mushrooms discovered a young woman's body in the same forest. The news report said her hands were tied behind her back and she had been stabbed and that the body hadn't been there for long. This is the second type of murder that's happened in the parisien area lately. While I'm not going to let fear rule my life now, I will defintely be more careful and avoid going anywhere alone at night. No point in taking risks that need not be taken.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Oh man, that's crazy about the murder. Just be safe as much as you can and pay attention to your gut feelings. And I'm glad you had a fun day with your friends! That's always nice.