Friday, September 10, 2010

The differences of life

Since living in France, I've been grateful to take part in such a different lifestyle. I find myself constantly comparing things to America and enjoy knowing that there isn't just one way to do things. 
Recently the thing I've thought about most is the difference in the school systems. I'm not necessarily talking about the education system, even though I feel that theirs is better than ours. But moreso the transportation of getting to school. Since growing up and having a mother who's a school bus driver, I've never thought anything about it. It's quite common in America for kids to walk to their bus stops alone and get on the bus to go to school. So I was quite shocked on the first day of school when I walked Anna to school and saw ALL the parents walking their children to school. At first, I admit that I thought that everyone lives close enough to school that the kids could walk alone. But I'm learning that the French are very protective of their children and its rare to see a child without an adult nearby. Now I appreciate seeing all the parents walking their kids because I feel that they understand and value the importance of families. Their schedule seems to revolve around the children and not the other way around. They walk the kids to school and are back waiting at the end of the day to pick them up. I realize that not every family is this way, but in general it seems they are much more active in their childrens lives and I love it. It's definitely something that I hope to adopt and practice when I have a family of my own. Although, after taking care of these children I have my moments of wondering whether or not I really want to have children! :-)

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Oh Bree, this is very good for you! I think every single person should have a job like yours. Then they wouldn't be so rushed into having kids. And they'd know how much work it really is! That's cool that the parents are so involved. obviously, some people don't have a choice. I had a working mother while growing up. But, I hope to be able to be so involved in my children's lives as well. That is pretty cool.