Friday, June 13, 2008

Hiking on my day off


After a week of being sick with a miserable cold that seems to be spreading like wildfire through all the employees here, I finally felt good enough to get out and do something. So on Wednesday I went with a friend from work and we did some hiking. We left around 11:30 and got back a little after 5:00. It was a great day, not only were the trails pretty easy but it was just so amazing to take in the scenery that is all around. At one point we were hiking along side the Riley Creek and heard a huge splash of water and we stopped and saw a Moose crossing the Creek. Then we got close to the train tracks and heard a train coming so we were able to get some pictures of the train going across the bridge. I couldn't have asked for a better day off. The weather was beautiful and I was able to get out and hike three different trails and just soak up Alaska. The only downfall to Alaska that I have discovered thus far is definitely the mesquitos. I cannot believe how bad they are, and from what I'm told it's not even bad yet. I guess July and August are the worst. I'm not looking forward to experiencing that. Just the other night before I left the room I sprayed my feet with my mesquito spray because I was wearing sandals. But it didn't help too much, when I got back at the end of the evening I had six bites on one foot. Its not pleasant.

No comments: