Thursday, May 15, 2008

Alaska Bound: Alaska Found





5/14/08 Departed SLC @ 9:30 pm
Arrived Seattle @ 10:30 pm
*Delay in take off due to plane maintenance
5/15/08 Departed Seattle @12:30 am
Arrived Anchorage @ 3:30 am (Alaskan time or 5:30 Utah time)

After possibly the worst flight of my life, I'm finally in Alaska! I'm not sure if it's the entire Alaskan Airlines company that sucks, or just the plane that I was on. It was so old that we had to go outside and climb up the stairs and load onto it from the rear of the plane. Then once on, I tried to put my luggage in the overhead department and it wouldn't fit. I thought I was going to break it, so I had the flight attendant force it in for me. (I didn't want to get blamed for any damage done. haha) Then I soon realized that the seat I had requested when I bought my ticket is not the seat I was assigned. Instead of my usual window seat, I was sandwiched between a big guy and an old lady. Making it incredibly difficult to get comfortable enough to sleep. I couldn't lean left of right and found it impossible to sleep sitting straight up! And anytime I began to fall asleep I'd do the whole jump thing and wake right up. It was super lovely!
Now I'm just sitting on a bench by the baggage claim, waiting for 7:00 to roll around so I can catch the 6 hour shuttle ride down to the Denali Park. I'm looking forward to finally getting there more than ever! But I won't lie that I'm feeling a little uncomfortable. This rather odd looking fella' came and laid down on the bench RIGHT next to me with his head only inches away from my lap. I would've moved if I didn't have four bags to move with me! He seems to be homeless or possibly travels very lightly. He has no sort of luggage whatsoever with him. Odd....
Anyway, I think I've packed more than I actually weigh in all my luggage. My hiking pack weighed in at 42 lbs, my big luggage 47 lbs, my smaller luggage was around 30 lbs and my backpack has to be around 30 lbs. The real trick/talent is being able to roll/carry them all at once. I'm not quite sure how it's going to work? But hopefully it won't be too difficult!
P.S.
Good news, the bum has disappeared!

(The above pictures are of the airport. It seems to pretty common for people to just crash on the benches. From where I'm sitting I can 6 people sleeping. The other is of the animal display by the baggage claim.)

1 comment:

Fennifer said...

Looks like fun. And that man on the bench looks super comfortable. Perhaps you should have busted out the "I get claustrophobic" in the middle seat excuse for your flight. It worked for that one lady on our Denver flight....bitch!